Volunteer Resource Manager
Join Canada’s hottest science online community!
As a Volunteer Resource Manager you will join a dynamic team of volunteer science bloggers, editors, social media and outreach professionals, team leaders and an experienced management team — all committed to sharing and amplifying Canadian science.
- Location – Remote
- Time Commitment – 2-4 hours / week
- Duration – 1 year renewable term (after 30-day trial)
- Remuneration: This is a volunteer position
Reporting to the Core Management Team, the Volunteer Resource Manager serves as the first point of contact for the 30-40 Science Borealis volunteers and is responsible for recruitment, onboarding, renewals, support and offboarding of all volunteers.
This position has been developed to support our growing volunteer workforce. In this capacity, you will also work with us to develop policies and procedures to guide the volunteer program and ensure we maintain a healthy vibrant volunteer community.
- Recruit new volunteers as requested by Team Leads
- Develop and send standard preliminary responses to applicants
- Onboard new volunteers; distribute training materials
- Track renewal dates; send renewals
- Send monthly reminders for timesheets
- Manage volunteer departures; close out volunteer accounts
- Respond to volunteer questions, concerns, inquiries
- Provide updates, information to volunteers as necessary
- Setup and maintain shared folders for Volunteer administration
- Develop standard procedures for onboarding, renewing and offboarding volunteers.
- Develop standard application materials
- Develop and maintain an up-to-date database of volunteer information
- Maintain system for tracking renewals
- Ensure job descriptions and training materials are up-to-date
- Work with Core Management Team to develop guiding principles, policies, and procedures
- Certificate or degree in human resources, volunteer administration or related studies or;
- Minimum of 1 year experience managing or coordinating a large team of volunteers or staff on a continual basis.
- Have an appreciation and understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of a volunteer workforce.
- Must be exceedingly organized, time-conscious and detail-oriented; a natural sense for developing and maintaining systems, procedures, checklists, schedules, etc.
- Must be self-driven; someone who can work towards an end-goal without regular supervision or specific direction.
- Excellent writing and communications skills; a friendly professional attitude
- Adept at various online collaboration and communications tools — Google docs, DropBox, Slack, etc.
- Ability to manage sensitive information in a confidential manner
- Track record of successfully managing or coordinating a large team of volunteers or staff for more than two years
- Track record of developing a successful volunteer program and policies and procedures around that.
To apply for this position, please send a strong cover letter and your CV, resume, or LinkedIn profile to email@example.com with VOLUNTEER RESOURCE MANAGER APPLICANT in the subject line.
MORE INFORMATION ON VOLUNTEERING WITH SCIENCE BOREALIS
Employees: Some companies provide small grants to employees who donate their time; others allow employees to donate a few work hours a week to a non-profit as a form of sponsorship. If you’d like to volunteer for us under such an arrangement, please let us know. We would be happy to work with your employer.
We are always interested to hear from people who have skills they can share with us. If you have science communications, blogging, WordPress, tech, or social media skills you would like to share with us, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us a bit about yourself.
Science Borealis is a not-for-profit corporation under the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act (NFP Act). We are an all-volunteer organization.