Science Borealis is current looking for a team of awesome social media volunteers! Are you interested in science and science communication, and want to spend 1-2 hours/week engaging with the general public, our science bloggers, and other science institutions through our Social Media channels? Or do you want to generate Social Media content that promotes and showcases our team and members of our blogging network? Do you have experience managing Twitter/Facebook/Instagram posts, and want experience working with a non-profit organization? If your answer is “Yes,” here is what we are looking for:
As SoMe ambassadors, you are expected to commit 2 hours a week to:
- Be the personality/voice of Science Borealis for a specific day.
- Respond to relevant online conversations by connecting to content produced by our network bloggers and/or our Science Borealis editorial blog
- Engage our followers in conversation, chat about what’s happening in science in Canada.
- Share science news and events that might be of interest to our followers.
- Interact with science and science communication organizations
This position will be supervised by the Social Media Manager. Additional tasks may be assigned by the SoMe Manager and/or the Community Outreach Manager.
SoMe Content Powerhouse
As a SoMe Powerhouse, you are expected to commit 1-2 hours a week to:
- Develop regular SoMe content for the SoMe calendar based on upcoming events, celebrations, newsletter releases, and Science Borealis editorial posts.
- Work with SoMe Manager to generate content for our upcoming SoMe campaigns.
This position will be supervised by the Social Media Manager. Additional tasks might be assigned by the SoMe Manager and the Community Outreach Manager.
- An interest in science – science background is not required, but enthusiasm is necessary.
- Understand the basic principles behind creating and engaging in SoMe conversations. For example, tagging, hashtag usage, etc.
- Ambassadors must be active on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram.
- The Content Powerhouse must demonstrate the ability to create compelling, relevant, and creative content.
- Available to participate in training and quarterly outreach meetings.
- Commit to the position for 6 months.
- Able to work independently but also cooperatively as part of a team.
About Science Borealis
Science Borealis is a not-for-profit corporation under the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act (NFP Act). We are an all-volunteer organization. Our goal is to be an inclusive digital science salon featuring Canadians blogging about a wide array of scientific disciplines. Science Borealis aims to be a one-stop shop for the public, media, educators, and policy makers to source Canadian science.
To apply, submit a brief resume with an email outlining reasons for being interested in the position and past experiences to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include handles of your social media channels if applicable.