Science Borealis is a Canadian not-for-profit, volunteer-run organization. Our goal is to be an inclusive digital science salon featuring Canadians blogging about a wide array of scientific disciplines. We are current looking for a few awesome Social Media (SoMe) volunteers to join the Social Media Team! Are you interested in science and science communication, and want to spend 2-3 hours each week engaging with the general public, our science bloggers, and other science institutions through our Social Media channels? Do you want to help generate Social Media content that promotes and showcases our team and members of our blogging network? Do you have experience managing Twitter/Facebook/Instagram posts, and want experience working with a non-profit organization? If your answer is “Yes,” here is what we are looking for:
As Social Media volunteer, you are expected to
- Review blog posts from our syndicated feed and highlight member posts through twitter and/or facebook.
- Be the voice of Science Borealis via our social media channels.
- Respond to relevant online conversations; connect discussions to content produced by our network bloggers and/or our Science Borealis editorial blog.
- Engage our followers in conversation and chat about what’s happening in science in Canada.
- Share science news and events that might be of interest to our followers.
- Interact with science and science communication organizations.
This position will be supervised by the Social Media Manager. Additional tasks may be assigned by the SoMe Manager and/or the Community Outreach Manager.
Why should you be interested?
- Gain social media experience in a science communication environment.
- Learn the inner workings of a non-profit organization.
- Become an important member of the Canadian science communication community by disseminating the work of over 100 bloggers and promoting Canadian science.
- Connect with others passionate about science outreach and communication through social media and the Science Borealis slack channel.
Two to three hours per week. The term for the position is six months (renewable) after a one month trial period.
- An interest in science – science background is not required, but enthusiasm is necessary.
- Understand the basic principles behind creating and engaging in social media conversations. For example, tagging, hashtag usage, etc.
- Active on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram.
- Available to participate in training and quarterly outreach meetings.
- Commit to the position for at least six months.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently but also cooperatively as part of a team.
- Bilingual (English/French) is an asset, but not required.
About Science Borealis
Science Borealis is a not-for-profit corporation under the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act (NFP Act). We are an all-volunteer organization. Our goal is to be an inclusive digital science salon featuring Canadians blogging about a wide array of scientific disciplines. Science Borealis aims to be a one-stop shop for the public, media, educators, and policy makers to source Canadian science.
To apply, submit a brief resume with an email outlining reasons for being interested in the position and past experiences to email@example.com. We will also accept innovative alternatives to a standard resume, so long as they provide sufficient information to judge the merit of your application while being concise and pertinent e.g. a video that includes details of your previous experience. Please include handles of your social media channels if applicable.