Volunteer for us!
Science Borealis is always on the lookout for enthusiastic volunteers. If you’re interested in becoming a member of Canada’s hottest online science communications community, this is the place for you.
Note that all of our positions are remote. Most require 1-3 hours per week on average.
We appreciate the value of our all-volunteer workforce and are committed to making the work fun and rewarding. Volunteer with us to enjoy ….
- Independence; flexibility
- Enthusiastic, collaborative, supportive, and diverse team
- Professional development and experience that will shine on a résumé
- Real-world training with experienced, professional mentors – leading to results!
- Published clippings that impress employers, colleagues, friends and family
- Recommendations and references
- Access to Science Borealis’s private, curated Science Communications job board
- Involvement in special projects
- Thank you gift
General requirements for all positions
- English speaking
- Strong written communications skills
- Ability to commit to the number of hours per week the position requires
- Commitment to a 6-month renewable term after a five-week trial, test-run period
- Comfortable using online collaboration tools (Google docs, DropBox, Slack, Trello)
- For our Editorial, Outreach, and Management positions, volunteers must be located in Canada and/or be familiar with Canadian science and the science community.
We regularly recruit in the following areas and encourage you to enquire about our current openings. Before applying, please see our general requirements and role-specific requirements for the jobs listed.
- Editorial Team – Subject Editors – to write about Canadian science for the Borealis Blog. Please see the job description for role-specific requirements.
- Outreach Team – Social Media volunteers – to engage with our community through Twitter and Facebook. Please see the job description for role-specific requirements.
- Administration – Administrative assistants – to assist our team managers and our Core Management Team in day-to-day organization, activities, and communications.
If you are interested in any of the above roles, you may email us to ask about current openings or simply send a strong cover letter expressing your interest and qualifications, along with your CV, resume, or LinkedIn profile to email@example.com. Include the job title in your subject line.
We occasionally recruit for the following positions. Vacancies and job descriptions for these positions are posted on our Idealist.org page.
- Outreach Manager
- Social Media Team Lead
- Newsletter Editor
- Managing Editor for the Borealis Blog
- Blog Editors for the Borealis Blog
- Volunteer Resource Manager
- Membership Coordinator
- Tech Lead
About Science Borealis
Science Borealis increases the quality and reach of science communications in Canada by promoting, supporting, and training Canadian science communicators. We do this by amplifying science blogs in our network, partnering with like-minded organizations, and by helping experienced and emerging science writers develop and showcase their writing skills.
Science Borealis is a not-for-profit corporation under the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act (NFP Act). We are an all-volunteer organization.